Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo




I started this blog with the purpose of posting my daily eats, but it hasn't quite worked out that way. I have been working harder at eating cleaner lately, so hopefully I will post more often, so check back if you want more "clean" recipes.

I had to post this recipe. As runners/triathletes, we need carbs. However so many runners complain of weight gain during heavy training due to plates of carbs and breads. I stumbled across spaghetti squash by accident. I went to grocery store looking for zucchini/squash to grill, and accidentally bought the yellow spaghetti squash. I had no idea what to do with it, but I found this informative video about the vegetable.





So from there I searched a few recipes, I really felt like a pasta style dish so I decided to make the Alfredo dish

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo

1 medium spaghetti squash
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fat free sour cream
fresh ground pepper
fresh Parmesan
1tsp olive oil

1. Cook the spaghetti squash either in microwave (see video above) or in the oven. I roasted mine in the oven in Pyrex dish with a few centimeter of water at 350F for 1 hour. I also deseeded and halved mine first. Spoon out the squash (it will naturally form strands) into a bowl.

2. Saute minced garlic in a pan (I use cast iron pan - runners need iron) add sour cream and bring to a boil. Grate about 1/4C Parmesan cheese into sour cream mixture. You can also add mozzarella but I wanted less cheese. Do not use pre-packaged grated Parmesan - it does not have the flavour of whole Parmesan. Add a little pepper to taste.

3. Add squash and heat for a few minutes. Serve immediately with fresh parm grated on top. I served mine with a simple spinach salad with Roma tomatoes and balsamic dressing.

Here are some photos of the process
Out of the oven
This is what it spoons out like.. it is really squash!

The Sauce.. mmm....
Voila!! (click on the image, it looks yummy!)


For dessert I had a bowl of fresh Ontario raspberries with a 1/4 of rice dream and a coffee. It was a delicious filling, and satisfying meal!
Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, this looks great. I have never paired spaghetti squash with anything other than a tomato base type. I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete