Every time I go to make this dish I pull out the recipe book I have used and loved for over 20 years. Its so cute and homey and just makes me happy when I use it!
Who uses recipe cards anymore?!!!
Well loved recipe (sorry about the side view!)
Healthy Spaghetti Bolognese
1 lb of extra lean ground turkey (you can also use ground chicken)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cans of crushed tomatoes (I use no-salt organic tomatoes)
3 carrots peeled and processed
1 tbsp sugar
1 can tomato paste
3 medium onions, chopped
1.5 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
3 bay leaves
1 package of sliced mushrooms
1/2 c. wine (I like an oakey Chardonnay)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 stalks of celery, chopped finely
1. Gather your ingredients. Chop all of your vegetables first!
2. Add your veggies to a cast iron pan (more iron absorption), saute garlic, onion, and celery until translucent. Set aside.
3. Brown the meat and drain excess fat.
4. Combine veggies (add carrots too!) and meat, add seasoning. Cook on medium-low to soften carrots.
5. In a large saucepot, add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, wine, parsley, mushrooms, and bay leaves. Simmer for on low for one hour.
6. Cook pasta al dente according to package instructions. (I whole wheat spaghettini). Enjoy with a glass of wine and a fresh salad. Serves 8 (or two hungry runners with lots of leftovers!)
Thanks for reading!